15 August 2007

A Small Renewal...

On Monday night, a pair of very powerful storms blew through our area.  80 mph wind shears, two inch hail, some flood and tornado watches, knocked out power, lightning and thunder, the whole kit and caboodle.  I really wanted to get out and see it, but my wife made me stay in the basement with her and the off their rockers cats.  The boy was actually staying the night at Grandma and Grandpa's, and wound up sleeping through the whole thing.


It was exciting, and I was glad that I smartly did not water my lawn that day.  Actually, even though I have free water and an in-ground sprinkler that works occasionally, I refuse to water too much.  Most of the summer, we have been in a drought, and I let the lawn get yellow while neighbors were forcing the green.  I figure the plants can actually take being not watered for a while, and it's good for them.  Then they're not used to having daily doses of water, and when a big rain finally comes, it won't drown them.

Our neighborhood at least wound up barely touched by the storms.  Other places saw lots of unfortunate action, but we got some rain, a little hail, and winds that didn't even destroy the wind-susceptible dying tree in my yard.  As exciting as it would have been, I'm glad we didn't get damaged.  Not much in this world would seem dumber than replacing glass on my rust bucket vehicle.

Following the storm, though, the rest of the week has been mild and beautiful.  And green.  Our world has been a little cleansed and woken up.  I feel like I've had the same renewal as well.  After over a week of no soda, my headaches are gone and I don't feel so groggy in the mornings.  Of course, not being sick as a dog has helped that too, and not hurting when I speak is also a nice treat.

I'd still been antsy for the first half of this week, because it was leading up to an ultrasound last night.  Michelle and I were able to go together, and we were able to finally see the fetus and its heartbeat.  We couldn't quite hear it yet, and I know Michelle would have really liked that reassurance, but I'm a happy camper.  She's now seven weeks along and finally feeling sick, so I really think we're in the clear, and I tell you, that's a huge weight off my mind.

What was also great about last night, is that our neighbor was able to help us by watching the boy for a while.  She has a four year old boy of her own and the two of them are school chums.  She also teaches there, so she knows our boy well.  Living only a couple doors down makes it all very convenient, and she was able to relax a bit too.  The boys had dinner and played well together, and Michelle and I were able to talk to another actual adult in our home.  It was a lovely change of pace and it finally feels as though we're progressing in our lives out here in the 'over.  Of course, now all our boy wants is to go play with his friend.

So now it's a beautiful Thursday morning.  I'm writing while sitting in my backyard, watching my boy turn into an Iguanadon (he knows a vast array of dinosaurs and their attributes) and roaming around the yard, roaring and eating leaves off my ash tree.  It's not a bad life at all.  But I am eager to get back to work and teaching.  While most will disagree with me, I think summer vacation is too long and the school year is too short.

Ta~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup, I think the rest of the school age children would, but the parents would second your thought.

Glad to hear things are well, and that M is doing swimmingly.

Lil' E says, Oooo, hmm, ooo (which I think is close to hello, how are you?)

So 'til then.