02 April 2007

It's springtime...

Well, it's the first day of my spring vacation. Nice to be in the education field, right? Normally I would say that it is weak, why not just push through another week's worth of work? Well, I'll tell you, just as any teacher would, that kids get absolutely nutty around the Vernal Equinox, and pushing them too hard for too long will just make them lose it. Most of them did, particularly the week before break.

As a standard, Fridays are the wildest days of those in a week, particularly prior to a long weekend. Since the equinox, though, it's been worse. The lack of forethought and consideration has deteriorated to nearly nothing. They bounce off the walls and each other. My very three year old boy could definitely teach them a lesson in patience.

And this whole week... wow. Nothing could be said or done to get these kids to sit still or keep a thought in their head about anything other than themselves. I am certainly glad it was only a four-day week for them. Friday was for teachers to finish up their work for the end of the quarter.

Right now I'm enjoying doing very little. Tyrone and I are lounging around, both indoors and out. I'm teaching him the boundaries of the house so he'll know where home is, and so he won't be cooped up downstairs, since we've just decided to keep him from Austin at all times. It's unfortunately easier that way. Ty won't run, and Austin can't keep from playing roughly (he doesn't really know he's doing it).

I do have lots to clean around the house, and with the garage having warmed up a touch, I can put what has been living in there into proper storage or disposal, and my poor little Rusty might have a roof over his head for the first time in his life. I'm excited about it. I am also excited about sitting around on my deck, watching the kid and the cat romp around, watching baseball (home opener tonight!), and just reading my little heart out.

Most immediately, I am very excited to have my pseudo-sister coming out to visit this week. She never made it out for the wedding, and I've missed seeing her (like all of those I left in California). We'll try to catch a ballgame, visit Michelle downtown, do little things; mostly just hang.

Here's to a glass of wine and a cheesy flick from the 80s~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know it's really funny to me that, I'm your sole reader only due to the fact that, I'm also in education. Isn't it funny the both the writter and reader are in the education field. And even more surprising might be how often this is writen at your work, and then read at mine?

I am a little jealous of Val getting to visit. And Rach and I hope to be out sooner than later with little emh. And we are both excited to you this summer even if its only in passing and wish Michelle could be joining you.

Well, I done being sentimental. Oh, yeah, you're an assbag!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mr. Spring--how did you manage to adopt a winning baseball team, you little weasel. The Giants stunk on opening day--Twins are 2-0 and winning tonight. Hope you're happy in tornadoland.
Love

Evan said...

Such kind, if not grammar-checked, words from you Ken. We miss you guys loads, and are really eager to see you three.

Mom, quit sounding so bloody bitter. I thought the ol' Giants were going to get the great Dusty back. Oh yeah, couldn't be happier sweeping a bunch of birds =D

Anonymous said...

I do it to keep you on your toes. Make sure the Midwest isn't dumbing you down!