12 April 2007

Go Twins...

Last night was the first game since opening day that I've been able to catch a ballgame. Watching Ramon Ortiz pitch, I could only stay awake for two-thirds of the game, was a beautiful thing. He almost completely silenced the Yankees, allowing only one run in eight innings. Baseball is just an amazing game, and is partly to blame why I don't believe in probability. So much heart and individual spirit goes into each pitch and each swing, you just never know what will happen.

Granted, baseball is a game full of statistics of every kind encompassing almost a century and a half, and continuing to add to them. But still, in my little pieces of watching, I have seen the worst pitcher strike the greatest hitters out with garbage in the dirt, and seen guys who can't get a hit pull a perfect triple to win the game, and have seen two outs, two runs up in the 9th turn into two runs down and a lost game. There's a chance, a suspense, a debate, and an intensity in every action, and I love it. And if there's a chance, it's fifty-fifty in my book.

It was a nice end to a day full of ups and downs. Austin managed to wake up at five in the morning, just before Mommy and I wake to some classical music on MPR. Oh yes, and it'd been snowing all night and would for the remainder of the day. Luckily we managed to get out of the house on time, even with me dealing with Austin being up and about while I try to assemble myself along with him.

Next came an up. After Austin was at school, on my way to work Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" was on the radio. I got to let it rip and I belted out along with it (though Freddy Mercury's range is well beyond my own). It felt good, and it got me groovin' and ready for the rest of the day.

Of course, the rest of the day was quite against it. It got very long, with lots of little things breaking down, but nothing big to specifically work on. Then arose a situation where I had to deal with a discipline problem with a kid in jazz band. Nothing awful, just a boy liking a girl, and to show it the boy terrorize and annoy her ceaselessly. So a parent called, I talked to the boy, it's all sorted. It was just something I don't care to deal with. Luckily he knocked it off before I had to kick him out.

The day ended in great relief when Michelle decided we should get Chinese food for dinner. So she got the munchkin and I went to a new takeout place and ordered out. I walked in like I would have at my favorite takeaway in Reading, and ordered some goodness, then sat to wait. It was such a small pleasure, and it completely recharged me. I took a section of the Star Tribune and simply read for about fifteen minutes. Nothing but smelling the wonderful aromas of food cooking there and reading local news. Like I've said before, Heaven doesn't happen after you die.


I suppose I should get back to editing another podcast for the school. I'm writing this on one of my breaks. I am teaching another session of my afternoon animation class again, which means my days will be regularly very long. At least the podcast is interesting, as most are. This one had a great storyteller, and she was describing being in West Africa where the kids wanted nothing more than pencil and paper. Makes my wheels turn and my fingers itch, I tell you...

Toodles~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should become a sports caster! You sure are lame to read, and you really have a face for radio!

~Your single, bored reader!

Evan said...

If this is anyone but Ken, you're a jerk. And if this is Ken, you're a dick.

Anonymous said...

Indeed.
~Cheers!